We're hiring! Come join our team in Malawi. IRLI is seeking a Finance and Administration Officer. The deadline for submission of applications is Monday 4th October 2021.
Irish Rule of Law International (IRLI) is a project-orientated, non-profit rule of law organisation established by the Law Society of Ireland and The Bar of Ireland. Originally founded in 2007, the Law Society of Northern Ireland and the Bar of Northern Ireland joined in 2015. The organisation has collaborated with academics, judges, legal practitioners, policymakers and civil society around the world to advance collective knowledge of the relationship between rule of law, democracy, sustained economic development and human rights.
Programme Title IRLI Malawi ‘Access to Justice’ Programme
IRLI Position Title IRLI Finance and Administration Officer
Location, Country Lilongwe, Malawi
Start Date Immediately
Length of Contract Until 31 August 2022
Days per week 2
Since August 2011, IRLI has been working in Malawi to address capacity challenges within the criminal justice sector, with the overall aim of promoting the rule of law and improving access to justice for unrepresented and particularly vulnerable persons. One of the main barriers to access to justice in Malawi is that key institutions operating within the criminal justice sector lack the knowledge, capacity and resources to fulfil their roles and responsibilities in relation to accused persons. To address this, IRLI has developed a placement programme whereby Programme Lawyers (PLs) are strategically placed inside the key institutions in the Malawian criminal justice system: the Legal Aid Bureau (LAB) and the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP); the Malawi Police Services (MPS) and the Judiciary. PLs work directly to increase knowledge and capacity by providing workshop training and capacity building sessions as well as offering long-term day to day mentoring. In addition, PLs support institutions by influencing policies and practices according to human rights as well as supporting networking and stakeholders’ alliances.
IRLI’s work in Malawi targets the relationship between access to justice mechanisms for vulnerable people and a quality legal/judicial response based on the rule of law. Working to improve access to justice, using a human rights-based approach, is essential for bringing about positive social change for those persons who are amongst the most vulnerable and marginalised in society.
The overall aim of the programme is to see improved access to justice for unrepresented vulnerable persons in the criminal justice system mainly in the Central Region of Malawi.
There are two specific objectives:
- to increase the institutional capacity to provide sufficient services to people in conflict with the law according to principle of due process and human rights
- to ensure the enjoyment of due process rights including legal representation and restorative justice to persons held in police custody and detainees in the Central Region of Malawi
The Finance and Administration Officer will liaise with our Financial Controller at HQ to support her with duties such as: accounting, website, email portal and shared drive operation, reporting and documentation, cash flow/fund management, compliance. S/he will also be responsible for general administration in field operation, including assets management, coordination, procurement function, inventory management, etc.
The Finance and Administration Officer will report directly to the Country Director in Malawi and the Director of Programmes at HQ.
This position is a part time position (2 days per week) with a contract of until August 31st 2022 with the possibility of extension, commencing as soon as possible. The Finance and Administration Officer will be in IRLI offices in Area 3, or at times may be required to work from home.
- Accounts and Finances
- Process payments and monitor expenditures within the authority delegated by IRLI Country Director.
- Process monthly payrolls, salaries and pension payments.
- Accounts administration. Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed and Liaise with Finance and Administration Officer at HQ.
- Provide the IRLI Country Director with comprehensive, regular reports on all IRLI income and expenditure, including quarterly management accounts.
- Preparation and monitoring of IRLI Annual Budget
- Preparation of narrative and financial reports for donors.
- Support finances related to IRLI Programmes, including support funding proposal, development and monitoring of programme budget, oversee programme cashflow, monitor expenditure in accordance with budget allocation, develop financial report and answer any financial questions coming from donors.
- In consultation with the Country Director, ensure that IRLI complies with all relevant financial management legislation.
- General administrative and filing duties as assigned.
Administration of IRLI Operations
- Ensure that IRLI is compliant to the Malawi Revenue Authority including submission of monthly PAYE, Withholding Tax Certificates and Annual Tax returns.
- Ensure that IRLI is compliant with all relevant company and charity legislation, including annual submissions and reporting to CONGOMA and NGO Board.
- Support the Country Director in the timely and appropriate execution of IRLI Operational Policy Framework, including all Operational Policies, Standard Operation Procedures and Annexes.
- Ensure that IRLI insurance portfolios are up to date and follow up any relevant claim.
- Ensure punctual and appropriate day to day administration of IRLI office. This will include ensuring that there is enough money in the safe. Managing cashflow documents, that the office is clean, purchasing office supplies, ensuring that office equipment is in working order, ensuring that relevant forms are printed, managing annual leave returns for PLs.
- Ensure prompt response to incoming communication and direct requests to relevant parties.
- Maintain all office administrative policies and procedures. Assist in planning meetings, coordinating agendas and ensuring punctual minute taking and appropriate filing.
- Managing all on-line and off-line subscriptions and payments necessary for the on-going operation of IRLI, such as to Dropbox.
- Ensure that all items are invoiced and paid on time and produce receipt and invoice for all relevant IRLI payments.
- Logistic support to events, public engagement and programmes
- Support IRLI Country Director in the mobilisation, organisation and logistical execution of all IRLI public and fundraising events.
- Deal with enquiries (via email and phone) from members of the legal professions and the public.
- Support IRLI Volunteers and pro-bono experts as well as professional exchanges.
- Support any logistical needs related to IRLI Programmes
- Third level qualification in operation and office management, administration, programme and financial management or related discipline.
- At least 2 years secretarial and administrative experience, preferably within the international development sector and/or civil society sector.
- Experience working with international NGOs highly desirable
- Ability to manage accounts and significant budgets
- Knowledge and familiarity with the field and policies related to Financial Management.
- Excellent organisational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure, prioritise a wide range of competing tasks and meet deadlines.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and cooperatively.
- Appreciation of the aims and objectives of IRLI.
- Excellent IT skills.
- Fluent in spoken and written English with strong analytical skills.
- A CV
- A cover letter describing why you are interested in working with IRLI and summarising your relevant experience and suitability for the post, with specific reference to the 4 key areas of responsibility.
Please send to [email protected]
The deadline for submission of applications is Monday 4th October 2021.